A half-dozen dog lovers/rescuers held a candlelight vigil yesterday in Olympia to remember the 19 dogs that died in a fire last week at a warehouse/residence in Tumwater rented by Furever Homes dog rescue.
The fire started in a dryer when no one was home.
Furever Homes moved into the facility on January 1 after its landlord evicted the rescue from its previous location on Yelm Highway.
It was the eighth time the rescue moved.
According to Thurston County regulations anyone with more than 3 dogs must apply for a hobby kennel or breeders license.
Furever Homes founder Sharon Gold did not apply for a kennel license before moving the rescue into the new space. She never applied for a kennel license at the rescue’s previous location either.
Sixteen puppies and three mother dogs died from smoke inhalation. Sixteen other dogs survived but no one knows where they are now.
According to the Olympian, the people at the vigil “…held flowers, …lit candles and, …observed a moment of silence as Sara McLaughlin’s “In the Arms of an Angel” played in the background.”
Afterwards, they dropped white rose petals into Budd Inlet.
Rest in peace, dogs. You deserved better.