50 Bags of Rat Poison Found in Shrubs
Early this afternoon a friend of mind texted me that her dog ate rat poison scattered around sidewalks and shrubs near restaurants in South Lake Union.
The dog’s owner and another woman said they saw approximately 50 bags of rat poison in the planters outside some of the restaurants there. They also saw pellets of the rat poison scattered on the sidewalk, which is where her dog found it.
When she saw the bags of rat poison near the pellets, she immediately took her dog to an emergency vet. The dog, a 4-year-old Staffie/Cattle Dog mix name Maddie, is expected to recover but she has to take blood clotting medication and keep quiet for the next month.
After her dog was treated and back home, my friend went back to the area to alert the restaurants about the poison and ensure they cleaned it up.
The brand of the poison was Ramik® Green. The label says, “HAZARD TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS CAUTION: Keep away from humans, domestic animals and pets. If swallowed, this material may reduce the clotting ability of the blood and cause bleeding.” It smells like fish to attract rodents.
The rat poison interferes with the production of blood clotting factors. Dogs that ingest it usually die of excessive internal bleeding in 3-5 days.
So the obvious question is: Who left 50 bags of rat poison outside South Lake Union restaurants?
I think it was careless landscapers. The dog’s owner said, “The ones in the planter were so dense it was clear their purpose was to carpet-bomb rats.”
It does make sense. I don’t think someone who wanted to poison dogs would dump dozens of bags of it in planters outside restaurants. And he/she would have looked kind of conspicuous carrying 50+ bags of rat poison around South Lake Union.
If landscapers left the poison then I whomever owns the property hired them.
City Officials Must Investigate
I plan to alert city officials and agencies about this incident and find out if they will conduct and investigation. Intentional or not, dumping that much rat poison in a public area near Lake Union endangers pets, kids, adults, water quality, and fish.
This is probably the worst week of the year to find city officials so I may not learn much until after the new year. I’ll let you know when I hear something. ‘
There is one nice Christmas story that came from this near-tragedy. Maddie and my friend started their hike at Gas Works Park. The place where Maddie ate the rat poison was a couple of miles walk from the park.
As they hurried back to their car they met a couple at the Fremont Bridge who drove them the rest of the way to their car after they found out that Maddie has to get to the emergency room as quickly as possible.
Here’s a short video of the bags of rate poison in the shrubs: