No Water Access for Dogs at Magnuson Dog Park
As I wrote yesterday, someone identified toxic algae in accumulated scum in Lake Washington along the shores of the off-leash area. Toxic algae blooms are most common in the summer and fall.
Toxic algae has been a problem in Green Lake for several years now.
King County Department of Natural Resources collected water samples and submitted them to the State Toxic Algae Program. The information was reviewed by Public Health – Seattle & King County. Tests revealed that toxins in the scummy algae that accumulate in some places along the shore.
People and pets should not wade or play in the lake where the scum accumulated. And dogs should not drink from the lake in these areas.
Exposure to toxic alga even in small amounts, can cause severe liver and neurologic toxicity in dogs. A dog exposed to toxic algae can also contract respiratory paralysis which can kill it within 30 minutes from the start of these symptoms: tremors, weakness, drooling, paralysis, muscle rigidity, involuntary urination and defecation, and seizures.
If you dog goes in water with toxic algae, rinse it well to remove all algae.
Beach and water access will remain closed until Seattle Parks determines dogs can safely swim and in the water.
For more information on toxic algae and symptoms of toxic poisoning, please visit the Washington Department of Health toxic algae website.
Thanks to Seattle Parks for taking this proactive action to protect people and their dogs.