(Originally posted in 2015)
In 2015, movie star The Rock” (Dwayne Johnson), announced that one of his new French Bulldog puppies died after eating a poisonous mushroom.
The announcement prompted a Bellingham couple to issue their annual warning about preventing dogs from eating poisonous mushrooms.
Their Dogs Died After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms
In 2012, Renee and Bill Bliss lost both their pugs, Milo, age 8, and Maggie, age 10, after the dogs ate poisonous mushrooms in their backyard.
Yesterday Renee Bliss told KING 5 News that in memory of Milo and Maggie, she “tries to get the word out about the danger of mushrooms.”
“It is extremely important to continue to talk about this,” she said to KING 5. “If we don’t have consistent communication about it, it is easy to become complacent until the next tragedy. With social media, we have no excuse about getting the word out.”
Renee issues the reminder about poisonous mushrooms about this time every year because fall is one of the prime times for mushrooms to grow (the other is spring) due to combination of wet soil and decaying leaves/plants.
Local gardening icon Ciscoe Morris told KING 5 that “the only way to rid your garden of (mushrooms) is to pick them, but they’ll come back the following year.”
Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs
According to PetMD the most common symptoms associated with mushroom poisoning are:
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Uncoordinated movements
- Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
More Information on Mushrooms Poisonous to Dogs
VetStreet put together a list of five common mushrooms that can poison your pet.
If you suspect your dog has eaten poisonous mushrooms, take it to a veterinarian immediately. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, all mushroom ingestion “should be considered toxic unless accurate, rapid mushroom identification can occur.” Be sure to take a sample of the mushroom it ate to show the vet.