Results a fourth dog that became sick after visiting the park are not yet available.
Officials initially thought Leptospirosis killed the dogs because some of their initial symptoms were similar to those caused by the bacterial infection.
Although the preliminary tests ruled out Leptospirosis in two of the three dogs that died, full lab results won’t be available until next week.
In the meantime, pet owners who took their dogs to Garfield park recently should be “extra vigilant” for any signs of illness.
Licensed veterinary technician Nikki Cowger told Q13 Fox that “If they were to start foaming at the mouth or become unresponsive, if they just became lethargic or inpatient after they came back from the park –those are definitely the things you want to look out for.”
Metro Parks recommended that “pets stay out of Garfield Park” until it completes its investigation into what sickened/killed the dogs.