This is such a sad story.
A San Diego family had to put their Rottweiler Max down after a Kong chew toy severely damaged his tongue.
Because the toy is hollow with only one hole, it got suctioned onto Max’s tongue overnight. They took him to the vet as soon as they discovered what happened.
But Max’s tongue was so damaged that they vet had to remove it, and his family decided the most humane option was to put him down.
KONG released a statement expressing its sorrow for Max’s death and has launched an “extensive review.”
I have never heard of this type of injury, but it makes sense that a hollow rubber ball with only one hole could get stuck on a dog’s tongue.
We’ve used KONGs for years, but the ones we give to our dogs do have 2 holes in them.
Regardless of what KONG’s review finds, I will never buy this type of toy for my dogs, and I’m going to check all of our dog chew toys/balls similar to the one Max had to ensure they have 2 holes.
In addition I’m EXTREMELY disappointed that at this time I posted this story, KONG hasn’t put anything on its website or Facebook page about Max’s death or its investigation into the toy that damaged his tongue.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.
This problem has occurred with more than one dog, and in my opinion KONG has an obligation to let current and potential customers know they shouldn’t buy this toy until it finishes its “extensive review.”
Here’s the TV story about Max followed by the picture of another dog with the same toy suctioned onto its tongue.