Local emergency veterinary clinic seeing more dogs with marijuana poisoning
Yesterday KOMO News ran a story saying that a Seattle area emergency veterinary clinic has seen a signifcant increase in the number of dogs suffering from marijuana toxicity.
The report confirms a post I wrote last month saying that that Oregon and Washington veterinarians are seeing an increasing number of dogs showing symptoms of "classic marijuana ingestion" at their clinics.
Dr. Jennifer Waldrop from ACCES told KOMO News that known cases of toxic reactions to marijuana in dogs at the clinic have increased from two in 2009 to 35 in 2012.
That's quite an increase.
Dr. Waldrop also said that ACCES had about 3 dozen cases of marijuana toxicity in both 2011 and 2012, and they've already seen 20 cases this year. She attributed the increase to the rise of marijuana usage for both recreational and medical purposes.
Edible marijuana products like cookies, brownies, and chocolate are particularly dangerous because they more potent and dogs are more likely to eat them.
In the article Marijuana Intoxication in Dogs and Cats, Dr. Eric Barchas lists the following symptoms of marijuana toxicity of dogs:
- Anxiety, panting, and agitation.
- Profound lethargy that can border on unconsciousness.
- impaired balance - staggering, stumbling, and falling while attempting to walk.
- Drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea may occur.
- Loss of bowel and bladder control.
- Extreme responses to noises, movements, and other forms of sensory stimulation. These responses can manifest as trembling or jerking of the head or extremities. In severe cases, the responses may appear similar to seizures.
If your dog exhibits these signs, get it to a vet as quickly as possible.
"Don't wait to bring your dogs in," Waldrop said. "The reason these dogs end up OK is because vets intervene."
Here's the story from KOMO News:
comments powered by Disqus